Saturday, January 3, 2009

Karibu Kenya, Renita!



















Renita D. Young/Renita Goes to Kenya

Armed with an English-Swahili dictionary and a tourist guidebook to Kenya, I stepped off the plane onto a different continent. K24-TV Driver George Kagondu welcomed me at the airport with a smile. This very nice gentleman had no idea, but right from the start, he reminded me of why I wanted to practice journalism.

When I asked Kaogndu the inevitable, "What's your story," his face lit up as he explained how much he loved driving. Not just because "it's my career," he said, but because "I believe that if I help people now, then later on if I need help, someone will assist me." It's funny how no matter what culture, religion or race, the Golden Rule seems to be one of those universal beliefs.

Aside from getting the chance to meet new people and continue my journey as a lifelong student, I want to give marginalized people a voice and a choice. By covering daily news that matters to the "average Joe," I'll provide everyday people with a platform while simultaneously educating them on issues that will help them plan for the future.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment