Monday, January 5, 2009

A worm's eye view




Walking into the K24 Newsroom was a shocker! The first thing I noticed was how young everyone was. Very few reporters, producers and directors were older than 30. Although it's a very energetic newsroom, it doesn't seem like anyone's in a rush or stressed. But there's a caveat: at K24, there are more reporters than computers and I've been told that you almost have to fight to get a story edited on deadline--and that's probably where the stress lies.



































I shadowed Emily Kimani, one of the business reporters. She covered a story on a small school just outside of Nairobi. There, the students and parents were on strike because test scores were extremely below average. Emily talked with parents, school administration members and government officials.






































Observing her was a great experience that really nailed the value of making good contacts. She was able to get an exclusive story because her contacts at the school and in the government alerted her of the strike first.

I'll be able to make my own contacts pretty soon, but until then, I must rely on the kindness of my peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment