Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Earth's most precious commodity



Water. The Universal Solvent. H20. Whatever you call it, it's near and dear to all of us, because without it, we couldn't live.

I visited two villages, Makongeni and Muthurwa Estate, that are severely affected. One man says he hadn't had water since December 24th.





Kenya is experiencing an extreme water shortage and word on the street is that the charges will soon rise for 'piped' water. I really don't think that it will go over too well in a place where the poverty rate is somewhere around half-or more.

It took alot out of me--seeing all of that destruction, sadness, then having to pull it all together in a 3 minute package. But that's the biz.



I would normally shoot, edit and produce my entire story, but for this one, a camera man came with me and a Swahili translator. Then we had to come back and work together to produce--I'm used to doing it all myself without having to deal with other people, but it was a test in patience and cooperation.

At any rate, this experience has made me that much more thankful for water.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how much we take our resources here for granted. Hopefully one day the water shortage there will be solved.

    ReplyDelete