Friday, January 9, 2009

Week in review




Week one was exciting and frustrating. At the start of a new season in life, at first I'm always a bit timid. Here, I was ready to jump in. I immediately joined the business unit, but shortly after, found my self "firewalled." Sometimes the language barrier makes it difficult to understand and in just making sure that you're correct, you try to be careful not to offend.

But when I remember one of the basic fundamentals of journalism, I'm OK. You'd be surprised what you hear if you just listen.

Everyone here speaks Swahili, most as a first language. And for the most part, I'm starting to pick up the language a little, by listening to inflections, seeing facial expressions, gestures; all of the nonverbal communication instruments that I learned long ago in Communication 101 at DePaul University. My co-workers also do their part. Every day someone gives me a new phrase in Swahili. The deal is that I have to answer back in Swahili.

I completed 5 stories this week and am just getting started!

Can't wait to see what next week has in store.


By the way, this is Shiko Kaittany, my great hostess, who's also an entertainment reporter at K24. You'll hear more about her and her wonderful family soon. They've been gracious enough to open up their home, hearts and refrigerator to me!

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment